The Bourne Legacy plot details have been shrouded in mystery, ever since last year when Matt Damon announced he would not return as Jason Bourne. Damon made it clear that unless director Paul Greengrass would return to helm the fourth film, he would have no interest in playing the part again. Damon even reportedly turned down $20 million for The Bourne Legacy.
Director Tony Gilroy, who wrote the first three Bourne scripts, is taking on directing duties for this next chapter in the series. The major question that needs to be answered is…How do you have a Bourne movie without Jason Bourne? Didn’t one of the old Pink Panther movies try this after Peter Sellers died?
With the main cast all set and the release date still scheduled for August 2012, here is what we know for sure…
- Jason Bourne will NOT be in the film at all. He’s ‘alive and well’ in the world of The Bourne Legacy, but will remain unseen. His actions in the previous films will have major consequences that will be felt in this film.
- Jeremy Renner plays another Treadstone agent who’s been through similar experiances as Bourne. This is a smart way for the audience to not think of Renner as “replacing” Matt Damon.
- Joan Allen, Scott Glenn and Albert Finney will return as higher-ups in the CIA. Expect a lot about the investigations into the Treadstone/Blackbriar assassin programs.
- Rachel Weisz is the female lead, although it is still unclear what her role will be. I can guess she and Renner’s character will be somehow romantically involved.
- Edward Norton will play the villain. He will either play a corrupt CIA member or an assassin on Renner’s trail.
- Oscar Issac (who lost out to Renner for the lead) will play an assassin.
- Nearly half of the film will be shot in Manila.
- This movie will set-up a fifth Bourne film, with producers hoping Matt Damon returns as Jason Bourne and teams up or faces off with Jeremy Renner‘s unnamed agent.