Some call it a “romance novel”, while others have referred to it as “erotic fiction”. Hell, even some people say it’s “mommy porn”.
Whatever you want to call it and no matter how you feel about it, E.L. James’ bestseller 50 Shades Of Grey is coming to the big screen in 2013.
Universal has already begun the process of searching for the two leads. The kinky late 20′s/early 30′s billionaire tycoon Christian Grey and the young innocent college student Ana Steel.
For the role of Grey, names like Ryan Gosling and Leonardo DiCaprio have been tossed out there. It’s doubtful that they would be interested in this role. It’s more likely that this movie could turn cheesy rather than Oscar worthy. Here are the top ten contenders to play Grey.
1. ARMIE HAMMER- He has the right look, the right age, and he is slowly rising to leading man status.
2. JAKE GYLLENHAAL- If he could handle the pressure of Brokeback Mountain, he can easily handle Grey.
3. ROBERT PATTINSON- Hey this movie isn’t going to be taken seriously anyway!
4. ALEXANDER SKARSGARD- The True Blood star isn’t a household name, but his management team has already said he would be interested.
5. IAN SOMERHALDER- Kind of in the same boat as Alexander. He also has expressed interest.
6. CHRIS PINE- Captain Kirk himself could be a serious contender.
7. MATT BOMER- The openly gay actor has been looking for a big breakthrough role after losing out on Superman and Batman over the past decade.
8. HENRY CAVILL- The current Superman might be interested in this role, just in case The Man Of Steel is a box office dud.
9. GARRETT HEDLUND- The Tron star appears to have as good a shot as any on the list.
10. CHRIS HEMSWORTH- Star of Thor and The Avengers might get the call.
As for the role of Steel…
1. ELIZABETH OLSEN- She is a critically acclaimed young actress who could give this film some gravitas.
2. AMANDA SEYFRIED- Seyfried has that perpetual college girl look to her.
3. SHAILENE WOODLEY- She proved she could step away from teen roles on ABC Family to more mature work with The Descendants.
4. DAKOTA FANNING- I Am Sam was a long time ago. She is a terrific actress, but America still thinks of her as that little girl.
5. MILEY CYRUS- Before you start laughing, she needs this badly. She has to show that she can do something beyond Disney and other studio fluff.
6. KRISTEN STEWART- There might be a Twilight backlash, but she does fit the role of Steel very well.
7. FELICITY JONES- She is a rising starlet with the action chops to bring some credibility.
8. CAREY MULLIGAN- Could easily pass for a naive student.
9. ANNA KENDRICK- Not a very “showy” pick, but she is a good enough actress to pull it off.
10. ROONEY MARA- She was fantastic in ‘Girl With Dragon Tattoo’ but I’m not sure she would want to take on another famous literary role.
The casting process will be extremely difficult. It’s not just about picking any actor and actress. It’s about picking a pair that you believe would have the best chemistry. Fans (aka housewives) will bitch and moan no matter who is chosen.
So the question I have for you is…
Can you see Armie Hammer spanking Elizabeth Olsen?