2012 was soooooo two days ago. It’s all about 2013 and I’ve got 13 movies that I have to see this year.
1. PACIFIC RIM – Godzilla-ish monsters battling Transformer-ish robots. What’s not to love?
2. STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS – If this sequel is as good as JJ Abrams’ reboot, this could be the best movie of the Summer.
3. THE LONE RANGER – Armie Hammer makes for a perfect Ranger, while Johnny Depp should shine as Tonto.
4. THE WOLVERINE – A darker tone for Hugh Jackman’s Wolverine, as he does battle in Japan.
5. THE GREAT GATSBY – I’m concerned as to why it was moved from XMAS 2012 to the Summer of 2013. But it’s a must see film.
6. IRON MAN 3 – Another superhero franchise going darker. RDJ is always a blast as Tony Stark.
7. ONLY GOD FORGIVES – Ryan Gosling teaming up with his Drive director. A Bangkok police lieutenant and a gangster settle their differences in a Thai-boxing match. Ok.
8. NOAH – Darren Aronofsky’s take on the mother of all floods? Russell Crowe as Noah? I’m in. Planned to be released in early 2014, but I’m hearing the studio wants this out in time for next year’s Oscars. Expect a late December release for this epic.
9. OBLIVION – A mysterious sci-fi project that teams the makers of Tron with Tom Cruise. Has a live action WALL-E meets Vanilla Sky quality to it. Spring is a good release date to see if Cruise still has box-office power.
10. MAN OF STEEL – We didn’t need another Superman reboot. I like that Christopher Nolan is producing. I just wish he was directing.
11. WORLD WAR Z - Problems on the set from day 1. Delays, over budget, re-shoots, etc. Oh and it looks nothing like the book. Hopefully Brad Pitt can save the day.
12. SIN CITY 2 – Maybe too much time has passed for this sequel, but as a fan of the original, I do have high hopes. The plot will be based on “A Dame To Kill For”.
13. JACK RYAN – Chris Pine (aka Captain Kirk) becomes the 4th actor to portray Tom Clancy’s Jack Ryan.